By Bill Carter
Within the government places of work of the 4 significant networks, sweeping alterations are occurring and billions of bucks are at stake. Now invoice Carter, bestselling writer of The past due Shift, is going backstage to bare the interior workings of the tv undefined, shooting the real images of the larger-than-life moguls and stars who make it any such cutthroat enterprise.
In a time of sweeping media swap, the 4 significant networks fight for the eye of yank audience more and more distracted by way of cable, games, and the net. in the back of boardroom doorways, tempers flare within the look for hit exhibits, which regularly get at the air in simple terms accidentally. The fierce pageant creates a pressure-cooker setting the place something can ensue . . .
• NBC’s fall from grace—Once the undisputed king of major time, NBC plunged from first position to final position within the rankings during a unmarried season. what's going to be the cost of that collapse—and who pays it?
• CBS’s sluggish and regular race to the top—Unlike NBC, CBS, below the management of CEO, Leslie Moonves, engineered some of the most outstanding turnarounds in tv historical past. yet during this ruthless global, you’re in simple terms pretty much as good as final week’s scores . . . .
• ABC’s mind-blowing resurrection—Lost and Desperate Housewives—have introduced ABC the type of good fortune it might probably simply dream of long ago. So why don’t the executives accountable for these hits paintings there any more?
• the top of the scoop as we all know it—In a stunningly brief time period, all 3 of the foremost community information anchors—Dan fairly, Tom Brokaw, and Peter Jennings—signed off, leaving executives scrambling for how to maintain community information correct in an period of 24/7 information.
• loopy Like Fox—They’re outrageous, unconventional, and infrequently off-putting, yet an increasing number of everyone is gazing Fox exhibits. such a lot of all they retain looking at American Idol. How did Simon Cowell snooker himself right into a large payday? remain tuned . . .
In determined Networks Bill Carter digs deep contained in the undefined, supplying totally impossible to resist “dish” that you just won’t locate wherever else. It’s the fitting ebook to learn while there’s not anything on television.
Read Online or Download Desperate Networks PDF
Similar television books
Within the government places of work of the 4 significant networks, sweeping adjustments are happening and billions of bucks are at stake. Now invoice Carter, bestselling writer of The past due Shift, is going behind the curtain to bare the internal workings of the tv undefined, taking pictures the genuine photos of the larger-than-life moguls and stars who make it one of these cutthroat company.
Earlier than constructing himself because the "master of disaster" with the Seventies movies The Poseidon experience and The Towering Inferno, Irwin Allen created 4 of television's most enjoyable and enduring science-fiction sequence: Voyage to the ground of the ocean, misplaced in house, The Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants.
This assortment deals an summary of British television comedies, starting from the beginnings of sitcoms within the Nineteen Fifties to the present growth of 'Britcoms'. It presents in-depth analyses of significant comedies, systematically addressing their accepted houses, filmic background, humour politics and cultural influence.
From a decidedly inauspicious commence as a low-rated tv sequence within the Nineteen Sixties that was once cancelled after 3 seasons, famous person Trek has grown to a multi-billion greenback of spin-off sequence, characteristic motion pictures, and item. Fueling the ever-expanding franchise are probably the most rabid and constant lovers within the universe, identified affectionately as Trekkies.
- Independent Television in Britain: Politics and Control 1968–80
- Johnny Carson
- Global Entertainment Media: Between Cultural Imperialism and Cultural Globalization
- Considering David Chase: Essays on The Rockford Files, Northern Exposure and The Sopranos
Additional resources for Desperate Networks
Moonves knew he would have to change that; but that would come in time. In the short run, CBS picked out shows that had a chance to bring in a few younger people, while making sure they appealed to its big crowd of older folks. A family comedy that Moonves particularly liked in his first development season at CBS had the virtue of including grandparents as key characters. That wasn't the only reason Les liked Everybody Loves Raymond. The humor genuinely cracked him up. He became a big early supporter of both the show and its creative team, led by the star, Ray Romano, and a sharp showrunner named Phil Rosenthal.
It was the critical role in the pilot, as Moonves saw it—the girl who walked out of her wedding. He knew whom he wanted: a young actress named Jennifer Aniston. But she was locked up in a show called Muddling Through, which CBS was planning to use as a short-run summer entry. Luckily, Moonves had a close friend named Jon Feltheimer, who ran the Columbia-TriStar television studio, which controlled Muddling Through. Les asked Feltheimer to allow him to use Aniston in the Friends pilot, on the hope that Muddling Through would not be picked up for more episodes.
At the same time, he sent Clooney another pilot script for a legal drama set in San Francisco—a true leading role and so a bigger part than anything in ER. Moonves told Clooney he was sending two scripts without commenting on them. Clooney called back quickly. "I love this ER script, I love this guy Dr. " Les reminded Clooney the other part was bigger. "Doesn't matter," Clooney said. Moonves was delighted—until he remembered he had just given away a part without even consulting the show's production staff.
Desperate Networks by Bill Carter