By John Dececco Phd, Sonya L Jones
Have a look at how narrative has formed homosexual and lesbian cultureA Sea of reports: The Shaping strength of Narrative in homosexual and Lesbian Cultures: A Festschrift for John P. De Cecco is an unforgettable number of own narratives that explores the ancient, mental, and sociological contexts of homosexuality in destinations starting from Nazi Germany to Colorado. many of the renowned authors during this assortment comprise David Bergman, Louis workforce, Diana Hume George, and Ruth Vanita. students in homosexual and lesbian experiences, political routine, cultural stories, and narratology, and a person attracted to homosexual background may want to discover those fascinating narratives on themes resembling intercourse and sin within the South, promoting homosexual literature prior to Stonewall, transforming into up homosexual in India, and the tale of an interracial male couple dealing with homophobic lack of awareness in a small town.A Sea of news additionally comprises inventive fiction and nonfiction love tales, battle tales, oral tales, and bibliographies, and a gorgeous post-Stonewell and post-modern narrative set on a South African seascape that tells the tale of 2 specialist males and the potential for a kiss. for a whole record of contents, please stopover at our website at www.haworthpressinc.com.This publication provide you with a number of narratives that conceal a variety, together with:
- memoirs of homosexual Holocaust survivors and the emergence of the 1st lesbian and homosexual e-book membership in its wake
- homophobia within the office and using coming-out tales to reinforce place of work variety
- the institution of a gay/straight alliance in a Salt Lake urban highschool that's seriously ruled by means of Mormons
- gay literary history that examines the works of Langston Hughes in addition to Martin Duberman, Paul Monette, and Edmund White with regards to the lesbian 70s
- creative nonfiction a couple of woman's love for one more lady, her lifelong pal
- Provincetown's awesome neighborhood reaction to the AIDS epidemicA selection of chapters written by means of the colleagues and previous scholars of John P. De Cecco, pioneering editor of the magazine of Homosexuality, A Sea of news takes its name from a word Dr. De Cecco utilized in his keynote deal with to the “History and reminiscence” convention at Allegheny collage in 1997. This convention sparked the assumption for this number of essays that research the gay event via ancient, mental, and sociological viewpoints and homosexuality in literature. those brave tales will help readers to understand themselves extra deeply, to spot wih others, and to interpret homosexual and lesbian stories in numerous narrative varieties.
Read Online or Download A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures PDF
Similar gay & lesbian books
The ebook is a suite of the shows of the Society for Lesbian and homosexual Philosophy from 1998 to 2008. The essays are geared up traditionally, beginning in 1998. Their subject matters hide nearly each philosophical box, and such that every is hooked up to homosexual and lesbian reports. issues comprise how we're to appreciate sexual orientation, even if same-sex results in polygamy, educating homosexual experiences to undergraduates, promiscuity and advantage, the "war on terror" and homosexual oppression, the rationality of popping out, the ethics of trip, connections among being homosexual and being satisfied, and final, yet now not least, dignity and being homosexual.
Experiences on Feminity is the second one quantity in a special sequence edited by means of Alcira Mariam Alizade for the Committee on girls and Psychoanalysis of the overseas Psychoanalytical organization. supplying a discussion board for exploration and dialogue of various matters when it comes to gender constructs, sexuality, and sexual identification, the sequence brings jointly an across the world popular crew of individuals proficient within the psychoanalytic culture.
The lesbians who've contributed to this publication are theorists and activists who write as individuals of various lesbian cultures. every one lesbian has her methods of realizing, her voices, ways, methodologies, languages. every one lesbian displays, at once and in a roundabout way, her family to her personal and to different ethnicities, races, social sessions, actual skills, a long time, and nationalities.
Same-Sex Love in India offers a gorgeous array of writings on same-sex love from over 2000 years of Indian literature. Translated from greater than a dozen languages and drawn from Hindu, Buddhist, Muslim, and sleek fictional traditions, those writings testify to the presence of same-sex love in a variety of varieties considering that precedent days, with out overt persecution.
- Evening Crowd at Kirmser's: A Gay Life in the 1940s
- Gay Men Pursuing Parenthood through Surrogacy: Reconfiguring Kinship
- Gender Pluralism: Southeast Asia Since Early Modern Times
Additional resources for A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures
Der SS Staat: Das System der deutschen Konzentrationslager. Munich: Kindler, 1974. ). Seminar: Gesellschaft und Homosexualität. Frankfurt: Suhrkamp, 1977. Limpricht, Cornelia, Jürgen Müller, and Nina Oxenius. "Verführte" Männer: Das Leben der Kölner Homosexuellen im Dritten Reich. Cologne: Volksblatt Verlag, 1991. ). " Die Verfolgung von Homosexuellen an Rhein und Ruhr 1933-1945. Cologne: Centrum Schwule Geschichte, 1998. Plant, Richard. The Pink Triangle. New York: Henry Holt and Company, 1986.
Under the N S D A P the persecution was intensified to the point of terror. LEGISLATION UNDER THE NATIONAL SOCIALISTS Homosexuality had been illegal since 1871, when Germany added sexual intercourse between men to its penal code. The NSDAP, therefore, did not invent new laws to persecute homosexuals. Existing laws and regulations were simply amended to increase the severity by which such actions could be legally punished. The police, the Gestapo, and the Ministry of the Interior all became involved in convicting homosexuals.
I'm not saying that there weren't pickups at gay bookstores, but gay bookstores were the first clean, well-lighted places in the gay community. In Baltimore, where I live, the gay bookstore made possible the gay community center, since its rent paid the mortgage for the rest of the building. In other cities such as New York and Washington, DC, gay bookstores preceded by several years the appearance of gay community centers. Since a gay culture relies on urbanization to provide the critical mass for an ongoing social structure—rather than the tight little personal networks that appear in many smaller towns—gay culture is intimately related to the development of the broader commodity culture; indeed, commodification has made gay culture possible.
A Sea of Stories: The Shaping Power of Narrative in Gay and Lesbian Cultures by John Dececco Phd, Sonya L Jones